We bought our commercial-size Advance Pastemate second-hand, and it was missing the clips that keep the vinyl from falling into the paste trough when the material is first fed into the machine. There’s an official name for the clips, but I don’t know what it is. We’ve always called them spooge clips, since they keep the leading edge of the material from getting spooged…..which I suppose is the same thing as getting slimed. Anyway, the manufacturer no longer offers the clips as an accessory, so I made replacements myself. They work quite well. If anyone is interested in buying a set, please contact me through email. The clips will fit any size Advance Pastemate.
The clips fit over the back edge of the paste trough, just as the original clips did, although the design is slightly different. The clips don’t interfere with placing the storage cover over the machine when it’s sitting idle.
As the material is fed over the paste-roller, the clips prevent the leading edge of the material from falling into the paste.
As the lid is closed and the friction roller presses on the material, the clips uplift the material, making it easy to grab from in front of the machine.
Once the inch-counter is positioned on the vinyl, the clips aren’t really necessary until the next roll is loaded onto the machine. The clips are made of aluminum, so that they won’t rust while sitting in paste all day. At the end of each workday, I take them off the machine and toss them into my rinse bucket. After a few minutes of soaking, they can be removed and rinsed clean.
The clips also work on the smaller Pastemate machines. This is a Pastemate 30 with two of the clips attached. They prevent the leading edge of this non-woven Thibaut from falling into the paste.
Here’s another upgrade that I made to the bigger machine: a one-off booking board with a custom-length cutting slot. On this particular job, the length of the sheets was ideally 95 inches. However, the pattern repeat was such that the next “top” was at the 101-inch mark. For the first twenty bathrooms, or so, we’d been pulling the sheets to 95 inches, cutting them off, and then making an extra 6-inch pull to cut off the waste between the bottom of the previous sheet and the top of the next sheet. It was a drag, not to mention a costly waste of time, considering that each of the 135 bathrooms took four sheets. So I cut a 1×12 piece of pine down to the size of the Advance booking boards (about 11″ x 60″). Then I used a router to cut a slot in the table wide enough and deep enough to accept two pieces of angled aluminum, which I affixed to the board with countersunk screws. The location of the new, second cutting slot would allow me to pull each sheet all the way to the 101-inch mark on the machine, but to then cut its ideal length of 95 inches at the new slot; and then to cut off the 6-inch waste at the original slot at the machine itself, without having to pull the material a second time. “Zero” the counter, pull to 101, cut at “95″ on the board, and then cut at 101 at the machine. Genius!